The Queensland container refund scheme has been named Containers for Change. This initiative has been approved and active since the 1st of November 2018 here in Queensland.
The scheme is a product stewardship arrangement with the drink manufacturers, to ensure and encourage the correct recycling of their product containers. The drink manufactures have an obligation to assist financially with the handling of their recyclable containers.
Container Exchange is a not-for-profit group which has been given the task to develop and run the container refund scheme here in Queensland.
The scheme does cover most aluminium, glass, plastic, steel, and liquid paperboard beverage containers. These containers must be between 150ml and 3L in capacity.
Excluded containers include:
- Plain milk containers.
- Glass containers which have contained wire or pure spirits.
- Containers greater than 1L which contained flavoured milk, pure juice, cask wine or cask water.
- Cordial or vegetable juice containers.
- Sachets above 250ml which have contained wine.
- Registered health tonics.
Please click here
for an extensive list of approved containers.